Iron boosting foods are amazing especially when it comes to defeating anaemia, it’s an important mineral for the development of the body.
Iron is the most important mineral which the body needs for its development and growth. Iron is required in the body to make Hemoglobin. It helps to carry oxygen from the lungs to all parts of the body.
One can pump a good amount of iron by doing physical activities like cardio, yoga, dance etc. Our body also absorbs iron from the food that we eat every day.
If the body is unable to absorb the iron from the food then it can cause iron deficiency in the body.
Symptoms occur in the body in the form of Anemia. It is a condition in which the body is unable to carry oxygen properly in the body.
Some common symptoms of Anemia are:
- Pale skin
This condition can be improved by taking iron boosting foods and by doing a good amount of exercise. One can get a good amount of iron from animal sources rather than plant based sources.
Some population is at high risk of iron deficiency like :
- Pregnant ladies – A good amount of oxygen is required in developing the organs of the babies. So pregnant ladies must consume a good amount of iron boosting foods.
- Adolescent girls – It is the period of rapid change in the body, also girls start to menstruate. Girls who have heavy menstrual cycles are at greater risk of iron deficiency.
Below is the list of Iron boosting foods to defeat anemia:
- Citrus Fruits – Citrus fruits like Lemon, tomatoes, oranges etc are rich sources of vitamin C which helps in better absorption of iron in the food. Therefore, it is considered a good iron boosting food.
- Spinach – It is a good iron boosting food as 100 grams of spinach contains 2.7mg of iron. Also, spinach is a great source of vitamin C which helps in iron absorption in the body. Spinach has a good amount of vitamin A and antioxidants which improves eyesight and makes skin beautiful.
- Legumes – They are good iron boosting food, especially for vegetarians. Some common types of legumes are lentils, soybean, kidney beans, chickpea, black beans, navy beans etc. It is also rich in potassium, magnesium and proteins, so is considered a whole food.
- Red Meat – Red Meat is considered the most nutritious food. It has many other elements like zinc, selenium and many other vitamins. People suffering from anemia are recommended to consume red meat as a great iron boosting foods. Researchers have found that people who have a regular intake of meat in their diet are less prone to anemia.
- Pumpkin Seeds – Pumpkin seeds are good iron boosting foods. One ounce of Pumpkin seed contains 2.5gm of iron. They have a good amount of zinc and manganese in them which is also considered as good for diabetic patients. It can be consumed in any form either roasted or raw or can be used as toppings over the deserts.
- Shellfish – Shellfish are a great source of iron. It contains heme iron which is easily absorbed as compared to non heme iron found in plants. It is highly nutritious as it helps in increasing good cholesterol in the blood.
- Broccoli – It is the most nutritious vegetable which contains a good amount of iron and vitamin C. It is a great supplement for iron deficiency as it helps to absorb iron in the body.
- White button mushroom – It is an immature and young mushroom that has a small stem at the end. It helps in the formation of Red blood cells and are good iron boosting foods for people suffering from anemia. Mushrooms are considered to be the only food with 90% of iron, and it gets completely absorbed.
- Fish – Fishes are good iron boosting foods for people suffering from anemia. It contains heme iron which is easily absorbed in the body as compared to non-heme iron which is found in plants.
- Dried Apricots– A cup of dried apricots contains 4.1 mg of iron. They are very nutritious and tasty. It is also rich in zinc, and magnesium and high in fibre. They are a perfect snack to eat on the go.
- Tofu – It is a great source of iron for vegetarians and vegan people. It is made by processing milk from soybean.
- Lentils – They are a great source of iron and can be cooked easily to meet the daily requirements of iron.
- Olives – It is a fruit that has good iron content. They are a good source of vitamins, fibres and good fats. These all components help in better absorption of iron.
- Coconut Milk – It is a very nutritious alternative to cow’s milk. It contains a good amount of fats, proteins, minerals, calcium and iron.
- Dark chocolate – 28g of dark chocolate contains 3.3 mg of iron. It contains a good amount of magnesium, fibres and copper. It is also a great source of antioxidants which makes skin beautiful and helps in weight loss.
- Oats – Oats are tasty and great iron boosting food to include in your diet. A cup of oats contains 3.4 mg of iron. It is a good source of fibres which helps in better absorption of iron in the body. Also, gives the feeling of fullness.
- Cashew Nuts – Cashew nuts contain a good amount of non heme iron., which makes it good iron boosting food. It contains a good amount of proteins, good fats, vitamins and antioxidants.
- Peas – Peas are good iron boosting food as a cup of peas contains 4mg-5mg of iron. It also contains zinc, potassium, calcium and a good amount of fibres.
- Palm Hearts – It is a tropical vegetable that contains a good amount of iron, vitamin C, manganese, calcium. It can be consumed by grilling or can be used as topping on salads.
- Beetroot – It is a good source of iron and is good for people suffering from anemia. It is also an excellent source of vitamin C which helps in better absorption of iron.
Our body produces a good amount of iron naturally. But it is recommended to take these super iron boosting foods. It not only helps in fighting anemia but also promotes overall health.